The PST 2019 Annual Contests Brochure is now available. Good luck!
The contests are now closed. Our Annual Awards Banquet is on Nov. 9, 2019. Please see Events page for details and registration form.
Congratulations to all of the 2018 Annual Awards Winners! Thank you to all who entered!
We invite you to the Poetry Society of Texas 62nd Annual Awards Banquet:
Our Poetry Garden
Where Poems Bloom In All Seasons
Saturday, November 10th, 2018
DoubleTree by Hilton (near the Galleria)
4099 Valley View Lane, Dallas, Texas 75244
For more information, and to register, please see the 2018 Annual Awards Banquet Flyer.
Information about this year’s summer conference can be found at the Summer Conference Event Page. It includes links to the flyer, schedule, registration form, and information about the contest. We hope to see you there!
The Annual Summer Conference convenes in a different area of the state each July. 2018 will be:
49th Annual Summer Conference
Thursday-Saturday July 12-14
Poetry: A Bridge to the World
Marriott SpringHill Suites-Waco/Woodway, Texas
200 Colonnade Parkway, 76712
To view full event details and register, please see the following information sheet:
PST 2018 Summer Conference Registration Form
We hope to see you there!
2018 Summer Conference Anthology Information
Everyone registered for the PST Summer Conference before June 1st can submit a poem for the Summer Conference Anthology and it WILL be published. You decide which poem you would like to publish!! (Do NOT use the same poem that you are bringing to the conference for the ‘You Be the Judge Poem’.)
Please send only one unpublished poem that is 24 lines or less with no more than 58 characters per line using Times New Roman 12 font single spaced. At the bottom of the poem type your name, city where you reside, and the name of your PST chapter if you have one. Send it exactly how you want it printed in the body of an email toHOTPoetsSociety@yahoo.com. Put your name on the subject line of the e-mail. You will receive a confirmation when your poem has been received. Your poem must be received by June 1, 2018 to be published. You will receive a free copy of the anthology when you check-in on July 12 at the SpringHill Suites in Waco.
The 2017 Annual Contest Winners have been announced! Click to download the PDF list. Congratulations to all who placed!
The Fort Worth Poetry Society
In Cooperation With the Poetry Society of Texas
The William D. Barney Memorial Chapbook Contest, 2018
The contest will honor deceased Fort Worth poet William D. Barney, one of the most distinguished poets Fort Worth has produced, a former member of FWPS, and past president of the Poetry Society of Texas. He won the national Robert Frost Award in 1961 and was Texas Poet Laureate in 1982-83.
The winner will receive $50 plus 25 free copies of the published chapbook.
Rules for Entry:
- This contest is open to Texas residents and/or active PST members only. Entry fee for Members of the Poetry Society of Texas is $10. Entry fee for non-members of PST is $20. Make your check or money order payable to the Fort Worth Poetry Society. No cash please.
- Contestants should submit a single copy of their manuscript in English only, which should be a minimum of 20 but no more than 30 pages of poetry, and no more than one poem per page. The manuscript may include both published and unpublished poems, but may not include poems from other books by the author. A list of acknowledgments of published poems should not be included. The winner will supply an acknowledgments page, if needed, during arrangements for publication. The author should not be identified on the manuscript. Include a separate identification sheet with name of author, address, phone, email, and title of the manuscript.
- Manuscripts with poems that contain explicit sexual language or expletives will not be considered.
- Fort Worth Poetry Society will assume the production costs of developing the manuscript into a market-ready, soft cover collection. This includes editing, cover design, pricing and ISBN registration. Upon publication of the finished chapbook, the author will receive 25 free copies of the chapbook, with additional copies available at the author discount of 50%. FWPS reserves the right to print and sell additional copies at retail cost, with a 10% royalty to the author. Except for the rights granted to the FWPS, the winner will retain the copyright to the chapbook.
- The winner of the contest will not be eligible to enter again for six years. Current members of the Fort Worth Poetry Society are not eligible to enter this contest.
- A qualified, impartial judge selected by FWPS, but not a member of FWPS or PST, will select the winning manuscript. The judge’s name will not be announced until the winner is announced.
- The winner will be invited to do readings from the chapbook at the PST Summer Conference; at a monthly meeting of PST in Dallas; and at a 2nd Friday Poetry program at Benbrook Public Library, Benbrook, Texas.
- Entry of the contest acknowledges agreement with these stipulations.
- Entries will be accepted with postmarks between January 1 and February 15, 2018.
- Announcement of the winner will be at the April, 2018, PST meeting and by email to entrants. Entries should be mailed to: FWPS Chapbook Contest, 10148 Fieldcrest Drive, Benbrook, TX 76126. Include your email or a SSAE to be notified of delivery.