We meet at 2:00 the first Saturday of every month from September through May. Meetings are in the Garden Room at the Incarnate Word Retirement Center at 4707 Broadway, San Antonio.
• Our website lists contest topics, judges, and workshops, as well as members’ poems. Our meetings typically include workshops and expert speakers.
We meet the third Saturday of September through May, at various times and different venues around Austin. Go to our website for specific locations each month.
- Our meetings consist of programs with speakers who read their own poetry and provide some type of workshop. Monthly contests of general and light verse are organized; we also organize annual contests in the spring.
Beaumont Poetry Society
Birma Castle, President,
firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com We meet generally on the third Thursday of the month, year-round, from 10:00 to noon. We currently meet in the home of Birma Castle in Beaumont.
- We submit a poem on a given topic for blind critique and review it together. BPS also participates in community activities to promote poetry.
We meet from 10 AM to noon on the third Saturday year round at the Emily Fowler Branch Library, 502 Oakland St, Denton.
- Meetings open with a spotlight reading of a member; a brief lesson on a contemporary poet and a sharing of our original poems inspired by that author’s work; we also read an original “free topic” poem. We participate annually in Merging Visions with members of the Visual Arts Society of Texas; that exhibit in public area venues pairs our poems and VAST members’ art.
Fort Worth Poetry Society (founded 1910)
fortworthpoetrysociety.wordpress.com and Facebook
President Patricia Ferguson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Meetings are second Tuesday of the month, year-round, at 6:30 to 8:00, in Benbrook Public Library at 1065 Mercedes St, Benbrook.
- We are a workshop group; members submit a poem for blind critique. FtWPS also participates in community activities to promote poetry.
Unless otherwise noted on the website or Facebook page, meetings are held at Barnes & Nobel Bookstore, 1029 West Bay Area Boulevard in Webster at IH 45, on the second Saturdays at 10:30 (except October and December).
- Typically we invite a speaker for our meetings to read and promote their work. Speakers are generally from the Houston area. The speaker gets about 15-25 minutes, and we close with an open mic. We generally have lunch afterwards at a place decided on at the meeting. For our December meeting, we have a luncheon, inviting a Poet Laureate to speak to the group.
Meetings are on the third Saturday from 2:00 to 4:00 at art gallery Cultivate at 712 Austin Avenue, Waco.
- Our meetings alternate between open mic and informative programs. We also partner with another Waco poetry group in that venue; check our Facebook page to check our activities.
Hi-Plains Chapter Poetry Society of Texas
President Frances Ferris, email@example.com
Regular meetings are 3rd Saturday of February, April, June & July, 2-4 P.M. Kingswood United Methodist Church, 4801 South Austin Street, Amarillo. October luncheon meeting, venue TBA. 4th Saturday. December meeting: 1st Saturday, 2:00 to 4:00.
- We are a workshop group; members submit one or more poems for critique. Chapter members openly promote poetry in various towns of our members: Amarillo, Canyon, Happy, Pampa, and Wayside with outreach throughout the Panhandle.
Mockingbird Poetry Society (founded 1970) https://mockingbirdpoetry.org.
President Thomas K. Martin, firstname.lastname@example.org.
We meet the first Saturday of the month, year-round, from 1:30 to 3:30 at the Carriage House, 205 West Hunt Street, in downtown McKinney.
- At meetings we share our poetry and organize our activities: public readings in senior homes; open mic events; and library displays. We sponsor the Annual Collin County Poetry Contests for students, adults, and members. We also publish anthologies of winning poems.
Pegasus (Dallas) Poetry Association
President Domingo Rodriguez, email@example.com
Meetings are held on second Thursdays every month except December and July from 6:00 to 7:30 at the Preston Royal Branch of Dallas Public Library, 5626 Royal Lane, Dallas.
- Our meetings begin with critiques in a near-workshop format; we continue with lessons on forms with assignments for the next month’s reading.
Meetings are first Saturdays from 2:00 to 4:00 at Midland County Centennial Library, 2503 West Loop 250 North, Midland, in conjunction with West Texas Writers.
- We host open mic readings on the second Thursday at 8:00 at Brew Street, 4610 North Garfield, Midland; publish a members anthology; plan quarterly poetry slams; present readings with the visual art show at Sibley Nature Center, 2019 Sibley. In September, 2019, we will participate in 100,000 Poets & Others, 100tpc.org, a worldwide project bringing the art community together; its world conference is planned for Salerno, Italy, in 2020.
Poetry of Johnson County
President Patricia Ferguson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Meetings are held on-line at the Facebook group, Poetry of Johnson County, the first Wednesday of the month, September through June, at 7 p.m.
- Activities include readings, special guests, and poetry prompts.
poetsnw.com and Facebook
President Eric Blanchard
Meetings are third Saturday year round from 10:00 to noon at Windwood Presbyterian Church, Room 126, 10555 Spring Cypress Road, Houston.
- We discuss members’ poems and invite speakers to present on various topics. We publish a biannual anthology.
Poets of Tarrant County
President Barbara Goerdel, email@example.com.
We meet the first Monday of each month, September through May, from 10 AM to noon in Thomas Place Community Center, 4237 Lafayette Ave, Fort Worth.
- Monthly programs feature contemporary poets and our own members; we also invited noted experts to talk on a variety of topics; we also share a monthly “assignment” poem.
We meet every third Thursday, September through May, at 2:00 in the multipurpose room at the South Main Church of Christ, 402 South Main, Henderson.
- Meetings include a lesson by a volunteer and critiques of members’ poems. We read our original poems for Overton Library’s celebration of National Poetry Month; sponsor an annual high school student contest; and organize a full day of Poetry Celebration each October.
San Antonio Poets’ Association
President Floyd Michaud Lamrouex, firstname.lastname@example.org,
We meet on the third Saturday of September through May; from 1:00 to 3:00 at San Pedro Presbyterian Church, 14900 San Pedro, San Antonio.
- Meetings include a presentation or reading; monthly assigned and free topic poems, which are sent for judging; and workshops.
Tyler Rose Garden Poetry Society (since 1999)
President Lynn Horton, email@example.com
Meetings are second Thursday each month at 2:00 at the Hanks Center, 118 Railroad Avenue, Whitehouse.
- Meetings include reading original poems written by members; studying poetry forms new to the poets; and preparing contests entries. Reading and writing poetry is the focus of the chapter. We participate in community projects (including hanging members’ haiku on a tree in the library yard); sponsor contests; and join with the Rusk County Poetry Society in Fall Poetry events.
WFPS meets on the third Saturday in September through May (with a holiday luncheon in December) typically from 2:00 to 4:00 in the Texas Room at the Kemp Center for the Arts at 1300 Lamar Street, Wichita Falls.
- Our monthly programs cover a variety of topics such as types and forms of poetry; we read our own poems from the previous month’s members’ contest. WFPS participates in community festivals and summer workshops.